Cathedral House was built in 1896 as a hostel for female inmates released from nearby Duke Street Prison.
As Duke Street prison held women prisoners from around Scotland, many Suffragettes and political activists were imprisoned there. Protests at the living conditions would eventually lead to its closure in 1955. Cathedral House was at this time a half-way house for some of the female inmates.
Duke Street Prison was demolished in 1958 to eventually make way for the Ladywell housing scheme which was built on the site from 1961–1964 and stands till this day. The only remaining structure of Duke Street Prison is some of the boundary wall.
Cathedral House then became the property of the Glasgow Cathedral and was used for choir practice, Sunday school and as living accommodation for some of the people who worked for the Cathedral. Cathedral House was purchased by the McKenzie family in October 2018.